Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Help! Eating Issues...

I am the kind of mother that is constantly worried about my baby (what mother wouldn't be). I think I tend to "over worry" and Nick would attest to this. I know I need to "chill out" a little, but before I can I need to talk about it and see if anybody else has gone through this. Okay, se here goes.

Alette went from being a fantastic eater, I mean she was eating 32-35 oz a day. She has always been a good eater, she's is very big for her age and therefore, she needs all those calories. About a week or two ago she suddenly stopped wanting to eat her solid baby food. She absolutely hates baby cereal and has since I've tried to get her to eat it. She does however like to eat vegetables. She also hates fruit, she won't touch the stuff. Anyways, so she stopped wanting to eat solids, then she suddenly wouldn't take her bottle as much. She seriously FREAKS out when we cradle her to feed her, she kicks, screams, and cries. I don't know what to do. She has started to eat her solid food again and she'll probably eat a total of 1 container a day of some kind of vegetables. She has not however picked up on her regular amount of food. She is now MAYBE eating 25 oz a day. I am so worried, and I get so frustrated not with her but with her new eating habits. I feel like a failure, I think "did I go wrong somewhere?", "did I do something wrong to not make her want to eat?". Nick isn't too concerned about it, I should listen to him. He's almost always right. I know I should trust Alette's instincts, and know she'll eat when she eats. What do you think? Do I have cause to be concerned? Should I just "relax" a bit and see what happens?

Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks!

8 comments:

Colleen said...

All babies/toddlers go through "eating strikes." It is likely related to teething. She won't starve herself, so don't worry too much about it. I know it's hard not to worry, that's all part of being a mom! Just do your best. It won't help anything if you and she are both frustrated about it.

Kuulei and Nick said...

You've got that right! I shouldn't get so frustrated, and it's my own fault because the more I push the more she "rebels", I think it's the Harker in her. :) Anyways, I think your right, it's probably related to her teething, I just wish those damn teeth would pop out all ready! hehe. It would be nice if they all came in at once, actually, that would be kind of scary. Well, thanks for your feed back. I think what makes it bad is I have no way to get out and go somewhere with her, I think I'm home all day everyday and so her and her eating is something that I focus on because it's the only thing I have to do, does that make sense?! I just had to talk about it to another mom so I don't feel like I'm going crazy over it. Thanks again Colleen! Have a good day!

Leonani said...

No worries Ku`ulei! Like Colleen said, all babies have eating mood swings. Even though she isn't eating as much as before, be happy that she is eating. If she wasn't, then you should be concerned. Just continue encouraging her to eat but don't force her. Plus her food likes and dislikes might change. It's okay, motherhood is stressful. I know I'm not a mom to my own kids, but I have been like a mom to a bunch of others... :)

chellrie said...

This probably won't be the first time she has a phase where she eats practically nothing. One day she'll start eating plenty again an you'll notice she went through a giant growth spurt.
Definitely relax. If she's hungry she'll eat. Also, she might be more interested in eating if you can find things she can feed herself. At this age it's not much, but you could try some of those gerber puffs or baby mum-mums. She's definitely not ready to feed herself any of her mush, but maybe if she has a spoon to hold to as well and feels like she's more in control of eating it could be fun and more successful.

isaacandruth said...

Nick's right - don't worry unless she starts losing weight. Babies and kids go through phases of eating and not eating. Just let her be. She'll be fine!

Erika said...

You know my 2 cents (maybe more like 8). Look at it this way, her clothes will last longer! Colleen's right, she won't starve herself. And you are right, it's the Harker in her. Those Harkers...
You're doing a great job!!

Shumway's said...

Hey There lady! I totally get why you are worried, but it is totally normal for babies to just stop eating as much, or refuse to eat something they loved for weeks. Jake is turning 6 and he still does it. Ricky does it too. The key is that they are not loosing too much weight. Tell your pediatrition at apointments and if she seems to loose lots of weight just call and take her in. If she is not loosing lots of weight *more than 10%, you need not worry. She should eat something each day though. It may not be much, but just keep offering all day. Babies have moods, interests and appetites so she may say no all day and be ravenous in the evening. Just like us. You are doing great. Keep offering food each 2 hours and alternate liquid and solid so that she can have the one she prefers. She will eventually chow because she will get hungry at some point. Good luck! Call me anytime if you need to talk! Love you guys. -Sarah

Kuulei and Nick said...

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I finally listened to you all and told myself to let go. I am still a little worried about the decline in eating, but you all are right... if she's hungry she'll eat! She has actually picked back up on eating a little, she has a very strong drive for independence but her little body refrains her from doing some things, such as eating big people food. Anyways, thanks again for your reassuring advice, it really has helped especially because so many of you have been through it! Love you all!

Post a Comment