Sunday, December 6, 2009

We Know Where We Are Going!


I think one of the hardest things about beginning a career in medicine has been the unknown. I began doing this in 2005 not knowing if I would even get in or not. I was an art major and didn't care about my grades because all I had to be was a good artist. For two and a half years I worked on getting pre-requisites done and trying to get a decent MCAT score. I had always hoped that I wouldnt' be wasting my time. Two and a half years is a long time. Luckily, St. Georges was willing to give me a chance and suddenly a lot of the unknowns became known as I knew I would at least be in Grenada for the next two years. Once I got to Grenada I thought, "Well what happens after Grenada? Will I be able to get good enough grades to make it? More unknowns crept back into my life. I made it to 5th term and did well on my first two sets of exams and only had one more set to go. It appeared that it would be very difficult to fail and I would be able to move on to the next step in life. However, I had no clue where that next step was. Friday night I found out though, we are going to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson, NJ! It is nice to have an idea where we will be and how much money it is going to cost. (A lot!) I think each chapter in life is going to have a lot of unknowns but it is not worthwhile to worry about them. One of my favorite books is "The monster at the end of this book". Sesame Street's Grover is the star and the whole book is about him trying to convince you to stop turning the pages because there is a monster at the end. He tries to rope up the pages, and build brick walls to keep you from turning the pages. Quite ingenius really. At the end of the book Grover finds that the monster at the end of the book was him. It turned out there was nothing to be afraid of. I can liken our experience here to my favorite book. It is scary and we try not to find any monsters but in the end things have always had a way of working out. We are excited to move to New Jersey and see what it has in store for us!

4 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

We're excited for you to move to New Jersey, too! Also, funny that you mentioned that book (very appropriately I may add). I tried to read it to Anna for the first time the other day and after two attempts she still wouldn't ever let me turn the last page. She thought that "Grover" would be too scared (really it was her that was terrified). I thought it was super funny that we didn't ever finish reading it! She just insisted. Maybe someday we'll be brave enough.

Jayson & Sara said...

Congratulations!! It's so wonderful - that moment you know where you're headed next! I hope we can find ways to get together. Mara and the new baby will need to meet!

Dr. Nick said...

Oh I am sure we can meet up no problems. We are are not too far from the city and vice versa. We look forward to meeting Mara! She is a cutie pie.

Dr. Nick said...

I am trying to remember if I was too scared at first to finish the book as well. Some day she will be brave enough and it might end up being her favorite book too! We will look forward to being a bit nearer to you guys again. We are excited!

Post a Comment